What are Gallbladder Stones?
Gallstones are stones or lumps that form in the gallbladder or bile duct when some substances toughen. The gallbladder is a small pouch located on the right-hand side of the body, on the underneath of the liver. It can be of different size and numbers. Besides this, it can be several small stones or one large stone.
Gallstones are one of the most common digestive disorders treated in women. Risks of gallstones are two to three times higher among women than men.
TYPES OF GALLBLADDER STONES
Cholesterol stones and pigment stones are the two common types of gallstones.
- Cholesterol stones- These stone’s colors are generally yellow and green. They occur when there is excess cholesterol in the bile. Around 80 % of gallbladder stones happen from this.
- Pigment stones- These stones are smaller in size and darker in color. These tough stone’s colors are often brown and black. They are more common among people who have in the condition of liver sickness, infected bile tubes or some blood disorders.
Gallbladder stones can cause pain in the upper abdomen on the right side and it can happen from time to time when you take foods that are high in fat like fried foods. Additionally, the pain lasts for a few hours.
You can also experience
- Dark Urine
- Abdomen pain
REASONS OF GALLBLADDER STONES
Gallbladder stones may be for various reasons, including:
- Genetic- There may be a probability of gallbladder stones if they run in your family. A modification in a gene that controls the activity of cholesterol from the liver to the bile duct may grow a possibility of gallbladder stones.
- Obesity- Obesity is one of the biggest reasons for gallbladder stones as it can raise your cholesterol level and make it harder for the gallbladder to clear flawlessly. So, to avoid obesity, eat nutritious foods, reduce the consumption of fatty and candied foods, and exercise for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Diabetes- Diabetes people have a higher level of triglycerides a type of blood fat which is a reason for gallstone formation.
- Intake drug to lower cholesterol- Taking some of these drugs stimulate the amount of cholesterol in bile which may raise the chances of getting gallbladder stones. Thus, keep away from these types of medicines which can occur gallstones.
- Age- Age is another reason for the risk of gallstones. Women at their 60 tend to free more cholesterol into bile which increases the possibility of making stones in the gallbladder.
Treatment of Gallbladder stones
There are two types of surgery:
In this surgery, the surgeon passes necessary tools, light, camera through some small holes in the belly. He watches the inner side of the body on a video monitor and then the gallbladder is removed with the help of surgical instruments. The procedure needs about an hour and after surgery, you have to spend the night in the hospital.
In open surgery, the surgeon makes longer cuts in the abdomen to remove the gallbladder and after surgery, you have to spend in the hospital for a few days.
How to Prevent From Gallbladder stones
- It is feasible that you can prevent gallstones by taking the vegetarian diet. Vegetarians are notably having a lower risk of developing gallbladder stones compare to non-vegetarians. So, try taking veg foods to avoid gallstones.
- According to many experts, a diet having lower in fat and higher in fruits and vegetables, plus a sufficient amount of dietary fiber may help prevent people from developing gallbladder stones.
- Maintaining proper body weight may also help prevent the developing of gallstones. But quick weight loss increases the risk of developing gallbladder stones. So, do exercise because regular physical activity can prevent weight gain and gallstones.
Therefore, managing a healthy weight by diet and exercise helps to reduce your chance of gallstones.