Every year from 1 to 7 August is celebrated as World Breastfeeding Week to encourage breastfeeding. It helps to improve the health of both mother and babies around the world.
Breastfeeding promotes better health for all mother and children.
Here are some of the benefits:
- It can save more than 800 000 lives every year.
- It helps to drops the risk of mothers developing breast cancer, ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
- Breastfeeding can save 20,000 maternal deaths each year due to breast cancer.
- Breast milk is the first natural baby food. It gives all the essential nutrients that the infant needs.
- Breast milk promotes sensible and cognitive growth.
- It protects the infant against infectious and degenerative disease.
- Breastfeeding reduces infant deaths due to common illnesses such as diarrhea or pneumonia.