Meditation is a mental practice that needs focus and awareness. You don’t require any specific tools or equipment to do this. Only a few minutes is enough for that. Almost 50 percent of people around the world have trouble falling asleep at night. In most of the cases, a sleeping difficulty arises due to stress. Stress can cause depression and anxiety, making it arduous to fall asleep better.
Meditation may help you sleep soundly. It can quiet the mind and body while improving internal peace. When done before bedtime, it can help defeat insomnia and bring calmness.
Meditation can benefit us in many ways including activate parts of the brain that leads to better sleep, reduces heart rate, and decreases blood pressure.
The essential steps of meditation are:
- Sit or lie down in a quiet place, depending on what feels you comfortable and satisfactory. Lying down is better at bedtime.
- Close your eyes and slowly breathe. Deeply inhale and exhale. Concentrate on breathing totally.
- If an image or any thought pops up, let it go and re-concentrate on your breathing.
Patience is necessary as you trying meditation for sleep. All you need to do is a practice only. First, start meditation for 3 to 5 minutes before bed. Then increase the time gradually to 15 to 20 minutes.
Here are the different meditation techniques that tend to work well for sleep. Take a look at how to do all these.
Mindfulness meditation means concentrating on the present. It includes breathing practice, mental image, awareness of body, mind, and also physical relaxation. According to Harvard Health Publishing, Mindfulness meditation helps combat insomnia and makes better sleep.
How to do
- Firstly, your room must free from all distractions, including phones and wall clocks. Lie down in a comfortable posture and concentrate on your breathing only.
- Breathe in, hold, relax, and breathe out. Do five times.
- When any thought arrives on your mind, gently turn your focus to your breathing.
Guided meditation is the meditation that does with the help of a guide, whether it is the guidance of a trained teacher or sound recording. It is one of the simplest methods to land into a state of profound relaxation and inner tranquility. Besides this, it helps to eliminate stress and bring about positive changes.
How to do
- Firstly, choose a recording and start it. Lie down in bed and breathe deeply and gently.
- Then concentrate on the person’s tone of voice.
- When your mind shifts, slowly turn back your attention to the recording.
Body Scan Meditation
In body scan meditation, the purpose is to raise awareness of your physical sensations, including tension and pain. So, focus on each part of your body. It promotes relaxation that helps you sleep better.
How to do
- Eliminate all distractions from your place, rest down in a relaxed position.
- Slowly close your eyes and breathe gently. Feel your body weight.
- Draw your attention on a face then proceed to your neck and shoulders. Ease them.
- Continue and go down to your arms, fingers, belly, hips, legs, and feet. Then feel how each part responds.
- If your mind strolls, slowly bring back your focus to the body. You can also repeat the process in the reverse direction, from your feet to your head.