Flattened rice pilaf is a light, delicious, and nutritious breakfast dish. It is an excellent choice for the lunch box and evening snack also. It is light on the stomach, easy to digest, and a high source of carbohydrate. You can replace your early evening or late afternoon hunger pangs with flattened rice instead of eating other junk food such as chips, pastries, cakes, and cookies.
- 2 cups of flat rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 to 6 curry leaves
- Green chilies
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- A handful of peanuts
- A few raisins
- A pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
1) Firstly, wash the flattened rice under running water for 2 minutes and keep aside to drain well.
2) Then, heat the oil or ghee in a pan on a medium flame and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, and green chilies.
3) Fry till the spluttering stops and then add the onion and ginger paste. Stir till soft.
4) Then add the peanuts and raisins and frequently stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Drain the flat rice properly to remove all water and then add it to the above mix and at this time add the turmeric powder and mix well to combine all ingredients.
6) Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes then turn off the heat.
7) Lastly, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
8) Enjoy the dish with a cup of tea or coffee. Besides this, you can also eat with a coriander and mint chutney.